Friday 26 April 2013

Using up Scraps

Today is my beautiful best friends birthday!

I decided that this year I am making gifts for friends from my fabric scraps. First was my friend's green cushion and then yesterday I made a small table runner for my friends birthday today.

Starting with a colour I know she has in her dining room - I really hope my memory is right! I pulled the scraps from the pixelated heart quilt and started building a strip piece.


I decided I wanted the quilting to stand out and I tried a new quilt pattern - risky move!


I decide to counter the strip piecing and quilt large curing flowers that run into each other. Great fun! And they added a really nice texture to work. The back is light grey so showed up the texture of the quilting really well.


This is my first go at the design and I got some of the scale off, but I love the overall effect of the flowers running into each other.





The scale of the quilt is just right to put into the middle of the table and put a vase on!


This morning I found this amazing wrapping paper. Patchwork and flowers! Perfect for my gorgeous friend!


Making presents from scraps is working so far!

Linking up with Free Motion Friday.


14 comments:

  1. She will love it! The quilted flowers really give it some flair! Very Pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anna,

    Lovely table mat and the FMQ is totally fab.

    Love from Somerset,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the colors and the quilting looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colours are really lovely! I love having scraps to use up!

      Delete
  4. The table mat is way cute, and your quilting is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute! The quilting worked out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were really fun to quilt. I love trying new ideas!

      Delete
  6. I love the FMQ. One day I will be brave enough to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try it! It is great fun once you have all the right equipment!

      Delete